James Thompson Elementary School

James Thompson Elementary School, 2004.

James Thompson Elementary School in 2004.
City of Richmond Archives Photograph
2004 43 167.

In 1953, James Thompson Elementary School (1955- ) began as a two-room annex to Grauer School. The official opening of the school did not occur until 1955.

In 1965, it again became an annex to Brighouse Elementary, but since 1967 it has remained independent at its present site at 6211 Forsythe Avenue, near No. 1 Road and Westminster Highway.

James Thompson, ca. 1910.

Richmond pioneer James
Thompson, circa 1910.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 1978 2 23.
Click to enlarge image.

James Thompson was a pioneer farmer in the area and served as school trustee from 1908-1915.

He chaired the Lulu Island West Dyking Commission from 1915 to 1934. The school sits on a portion of the original Thompson farm.