About Waterfront Activities
Experience and celebrate the vibrancy, excitement and natural beauty of Richmond’s waterfront. Surrounded by the rich and productive Fraser River, there are multiple destinations, landmarks, daily and seasonal activities and special events to enjoy along the water’s edge. From the Richmond Olympic Oval to the historic and present day fishing harbour of Steveston Village, there is something for everyone.
Richmond is a community that celebrates its rich past and recognizes the full potential of its island legacy—a dynamic, productive and sustainable world class waterfront.
Signature Waterfront Parks
Enjoy spectacular waterfront views, gorgeous gardens and diverse play areas. Discover the beauty and fun for yourself!
- Britannia Heritage Shipyard Park—historic shipyard, museum and waterfront park
- Garry Point Park—waterfront location with spectacular views
- Imperial Landing Park—long boardwalk, fishing piers and observation tower
- Middle Arm Waterfront Park—piers, amphitheatre and multiple play areas
- Terra Nova Rural Park—boardwalks, trails, heritage buildings and agricultural activities
While you may have the urge to cool off in the river on a hot, summer day, be aware that there are NO lifeguards at any of Richmond's waterfront parks. The Fraser River is a fast moving body of water, with a very strong current / undertow and it is unsafe for swimming.
Signature Waterfront Trails
Richmond's off-road recreational trails provide access to the city's major natural areas. Perfect for walking or cycling, the trail system connects around the perimeter of Richmond. Take an afternoon ride around the entire island (47.5 km) to see all the spectacular views. Allow for two hours and 45 minutes if cycling or take advantage of these popular routes that vary in distance and difficulty.
Scenic Route Maps & Points of Interest
- Steveston South Dyke: 6 km
- West Dyke & South Dyke: 26.5 km
- East Richmond, South & North Arm River: 23.5 km
- Sea Island & Middle Arm: 25 km
- West, South Dyke & Sea Island: 30 km
- Middle Arm, East & Central Richmond: 38 km
- Middle Arm, Shell Road Trail & West Dyke: 43.5 km
Richmond Olympic Oval Riverside Plaza
Many exciting programs and events take place on the water. Check out the section below to learn more!
Steveston Salmon Festival
UBC Boathouse Rowing
The John M.S. Lecky UBC Boathouse is home to the UBC Men’s and Women’s Varsity and Novice rowing teams, St. George’s school rowing programs, and the Thunder Rowing Crew programs (TRC). The TRC programs include learn to row and competitive Junior athletes. The UBC Boathouse is also proud to offer a Coach In Training program.
Public programs offered include:
- Fast Track Rowing Camps (July and August)
- Youth Rowing (spring and summer)
Picturesque Viewing Spots
If your time in the city is limited, here are six easy-to-access areas that are scenic and uplifting. With fresh air, great views and spectacular sunsets, you'll want to return to these locations over and over again.
- West Dyke Trail Head at Terra Nova Rural Park—view the river, estuary and wildlife
- Middle Arm Waterfront Park—view the North Shore mountains and Gulf Islands
- Garry Point Park—view the beaches, ships, fishing boats, ocean wildlife
- Imperial Landing Park—view harbour activity, Steveston Village activities and wildlife
- Iona Beach Regional Park—view the ocean, mudflats and mountains
- Flight Path Park—view planes swooshing overhead