Donald E. McKay Elementary

Donald E. McKay Elementary (1961- ) began as an extension to Grauer Elementary in 1958 but by 1961 began to take on an identity of its own as a Kindergarten to Grade 7 school.

Donald E. McKay Elementary School, 2004.

Donald E. McKay Elementary School
in 2004.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 2004 43 124.
Donald E. McKay, ca. 1890.

Donald E. McKay as a
young man, circa 1880.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 1986 57 5.
Click to enlarge image.

In 1884, Donald McKay (1866-1950) moved to Richmond from Ontario and purchased land on the South Arm of the Fraser near Steveston. He also leased land in the Brighouse Estate area (on the Middle Arm of the Fraser River at the north end of Gilbert Road) and raised Holstein cows.

As well, he operated a general store and post office at London Landing from 1888 to 1904 with a partner, Samuel Churchill.

Between 1916 and 1922, he served on Richmond Municipal Council.