Large Item Pick Up
Richmond's Large Item Pick Up program provides a convenient collection service for up to six large household items per year. This service is available to:
- Single-family homes and townhomes with City garbage collection and/or Blue Box recycling service
- Multi-family complexes with City garbage collection.
Some residents in condos, apartments and multifamily complexes are exempt from this program. Please see Extra Item Drop Off Options for disposal information.
How to schedule a pick-up:
- To schedule collection of up to six items per year, residents can contact the City's service provider, Sierra Waste Services at 604-270-4722 or complete the online form:
- Residents must make arrangements for pick up by 5:00pm on the Thursday prior to the following week's collection day
- Sierra Waste Services will contact you to provide a pick up date and confirmation number.
- On your scheduled pick up date only, place items at the curb or at a location specified by Sierra Waste Services before 7:30 a.m. or no earlier than 8:00 p.m. the night before.
Accepted and Not Accepted Items
|Appliances (e.g. stoves, dishwashers, washers and/or dryers, hot water tanks, refrigerators, freezers, microwaves, coolers)
|Wet mattresses and box springs
|Barbecues (remove lava rock, briquettes and/or propane tanks)
|Unsealed mattresses and box springs
|Bed frames and head/foot boards
|Wet upholstered furniture
|Car bodies or car parts
|Furniture (e.g. coffee tables, chairs, desks, dressers, TV stands, cabinets, drawers, tables, hutches, cribs, high chairs, entertainment centres)
|Dry upholstered furniture (much be kept dry curbside, e.g. couch, arm chair, recliners, etc.)
|Dry Mattresses and box springs (must be dry, wrapped in plastic and securely sealed)
|Outdoor furniture (e.g. chairs, patio tables, patio umbrellas)
|Demolition materials (e.g. drywall, roofing, plumbing materials)
|Small household goods (e.g. small kitchen appliances, vacuums, small power tools). Must be in boxes or bundled and a reasonable size. One box/bundle is equal to one allotted item.
|Home renovation materials (e.g. sinks, bathtubs, flooring, doors, windows)
|Tires (passenger and light duty truck only)
|Suitcases (hard shell and soft fabric)
|Weight training equipment (e.g. treadmills, elliptical, stationary, bikes, stair masters, weight sets)
Important Pick Up Information:
- Items must be able to be safely handled from curbside in order to qualify for collection.
- Items that contain any hazardous liquids such as gas, oil, etc. will not be accepted.
- When setting out items for the large item pick up service, please ensure the item is not impeding access to the sidewalk.
Reminder for Mattresses and Upholstered Furniture:
- If large item is a mattress or box spring, please ensure items are dry, wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape before placing curbside for pick up on your scheduled collection date. This is to ensure mattresses can be handled safely and fully recycled.
- Use the plastic wrap from your new mattress or box spring to wrap the old one, alternatively large plastic bags are also available for purchase at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and U-Haul.
- Mattresses and box springs must also be free of bed bugs to ensure they are accepted for recycling at the facility.
- Upholstered furniture must be kept dry curbside to ensure collection.
- If tarps are used, these will be left behind for reuse.