Report Illegal Dumping
Dumping on Public Property
Illegal dumping has increased in Richmond, costing taxpayers tens of thousands each year. Illegal dumping is harmful to our environment, unsightly and illegal. City of Richmond Bylaws pose stiff penalties for dumping illegally on City lands, including:
- A $1,000 fine for illegally dumping garbage
- Requiring people who dump garbage illegally to remove the waste and restore the area at their cost
- Recovering costs incurred by the City for cleaning up illegal dumping and restoring the area in situations where the offender failed to remove the waste
- Prosecution under City of Richmond Bylaw 6803 Solid Waste and Recycling Regulation Bylaw, Amendment Bylaw 8100
Residents who contact the City to report illegal dumping are eligible for a $200 reward. The report must lead to bylaw conviction of the offenders.
Reporting Illegal Dumping on Public Property
Dumping in Progress
To report illegal dumping in progress (you are observing an individual dumping waste illegally at the time), contact:
- Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212, or
- Community Bylaws at 604-276-4345
In situations where illegal dumping was witnessed, but the offender is no longer at the scene, please use these options to report:
- Click on and complete our on-line reporting form. Click on the submit icon to send to the City's Environmental Programs Department.
- During office hours (Monday – Friday, 8:15 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). Contact the Environmental Programs Department at 604-276-4010 to report the incident. Please have the information ready that is contained on the on-line reporting form, including:
- Date & Time
- Vehicle Description, including license plate
- Description of the offender
- Description of materials dumped
- Your personal contact information
- Outside of regular office hours, contact the Works Yard Dispatch at
604-270-8721. Have the information ready as per Item 2, above.
Reporting Illegal Dumping on Private Property
To report illegal dumping on private property, contact the Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212.
How You Can Help
Residents can help with the illegal dumping problem by making sure their waste is properly disposed.
Transport the item to the Vancouver Landfill, located in Delta. Charges apply, however, the City offers a $5 Garbage Disposal Voucher which allows disposal of up to $20 at the Vancouver landfill. For loads over $20, City of Vancouver charges apply. Visit their website at http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/landfill-and-transfer-station.aspx for information on charges, hours of operation, etc.
Directions to Vancouver Landfill
From Richmond, travel South on Highway 99, take Exit 28 (second exit), immediately turn left onto River Road and follow landfill signs.
Waste Collection Services
- Contact the City’s garbage collection service provider at 604-513-2264. Collection and disposal fees apply.
- Hire a reputable waste disposal firm. When hiring a waste disposal company, ensure they are reputable and ask where and how they will dispose of the material. Require that they provide documentation and/or a receipt from an authorized disposal site.