Private Arthur Edward Wheeler

Birth: September 7, 1884 in London, England
Death: April 23, 1918 in Orpington, England
Service: WWI
Regimental Number: 75296

Arthur Edward Wheeler enlisted in Vancouver on November 16, 1914 giving his occupation as teamster and stating his religion as Church of England. He listed his sister, Mrs. Bibb, of Gray's Inn Road, London as his next of kin. Prior to his emigration to Canada, Arthur Wheeler had spent 2 years serving with the Oxford Light Infantry of the British Army.

On enlistment, Arthur joined the 29th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and embarked for England on board RMS Missambie arriving May 29, 1915. He was twice absent without leave from camp at Otterpool and was docked two days pay each time.  After qualifying as a bomb thrower he embarked for France arriving September 17, 1915. Homing pigeons were used for communication purposes during the war, and in July 1916 Arthur took a course on handling the birds. He was wounded in October 1916, receiving multiple injuries and spent a month in hospital in England before being transferred to the Canadian Reserve Battalions at Seaford Camp, England. He returned to France on September 7, 1917 where he rejoined the 29th Battalion. On April 4, 1918 he was buried by a shell and suffered massive injuries including paralysis. Arthur was immediately transported to the Princess Military Hospital in England and later moved to a hospital in Orpington, Kent, where he died on April 23, 1918. In his first will dated April 1917, he left his personal estate to be divided between his two sisters, both of London, but a subsequent will, dated September 6, 1917 bequeathed all his property and effects to a Mrs. A.E. Robson of Tooting, London. The plaque and scroll were sent to his sister, Mrs. Lucy Sheppard.

History of the Road Name (Wheeler Road):

  • Name suggested by letter from R.C. Palmer, City Clerk, to Reeve and Council dated November 17, 1954 (Street Naming File 6818 - 1950-1955)
  • Council Resolution to adopt road name: Council Meeting of December 6, 1954, res. 935, pg. 611