Austin Harris Elementary School
Austin Harris Elementary School (1964-1991) began as a two-room primary annex to Lord Byng. Several portables and classrooms were added at a later date and in 1979 the school became an annex of Westwind Elementary. In 1991, the school was closed due to declining enrolment, and the building and property on Moncton Street were sold in 1996.
Austin Harris (1877-1953), with his parents, arrived on Sea Island from Ontario in 1890. Austin lived in Steveston from 1907 until his death in 1953. During these years he served as District Game Warden, Chief of Police, and Superintendent of the Water Works.
Three of his five daughters became teachers in the Richmond school system.