Thomas Kidd Elementary School
Thomas Kidd Elementary School (1957- ) opened as a two-room school on Shell Road near Steveston Highway in 1957. Significant additions and alterations were made in subsequent years.
If there was a Richmond pioneer who should have a school named after him, it would be Thomas Kidd (1846-1930).
Kidd was involved in Richmond’s incorporation as a municipality in 1879. As well, he served as a municipal councillor in the 1880s and 1890s. In 1888-89, he served as Reeve. He also was elected as M.L.A. for Richmond in 1894 and served until 1902.
Kidd became Richmond’s first historian when he published a book entitled History of Lulu Island in 1927. Not only was he a politician and author, but he managed to find time to farm on Lulu Island as well. He coined the term "Child of the Fraser" in a poem he wrote entitled "Lulu Island."