Hugh Boyd Secondary School
Hugh Boyd Secondary School (1960- ) began as a junior secondary school but became a Grade 8 to 12 secondary school in 1996 when all junior secondaries in the district were converted to junior-senior secondary schools.
Hugh Boyd came to Sea Island in 1866 from County Down, Ireland. He and Alexander Kilgour purchased farm land on the south side of Sea Island, and they named their farm Rosebrooke Farm.
Hugh Boyd signed the original petition for the incorporation of the Township of Richmond in 1879 and served as the municipality’s first Reeve (Warden) from 1880 to 1885. During the first year of his tenure as Reeve, Council meetings were held in his farmhouse.