Private James Arthur Hayne

Lilly Hayne and her Children 
Lilly Hayne and her children Gordon and Mary, 1917.
City of Richmond Archives, photograph # 1997 39 6
James Arthur Hayne c. 1915 
James Arthur Hayne, [ca.1915].
City of Richmond Archives, photograph #1997 39 1

Birth: August 13, 1891 in Guysborough County, Nova Scotia
Death: May 1, 1917 in France
Service: WWI
Regimental Number: 790031

James Hayne enlisted in New Westminster on March 24, 1916 aged twenty-six. He gave his occupation as fisherman, and his wife was Lilly Hayne. They were married on September 12, 1914 in Steveston where they had met. Lilly's brother owned a fishing camp where James Arthur, known as Arthur, worked. Before moving to Steveston, Arthur had worked as a miner in Alberta. Lilly, nee Fisk, had emigrated from Norwich, England to join her brother and sister-in-law and was working in the fishing camp, cooking and serving meals. Lilly and Arthur had two children, Gordon, aged one year, and Mary Frances, aged three months at the time Arthur enlisted. The family lived in Steveston and he was a member of the 104th Regiment of the Active Militia.

On enlistment James joined the 131st Overseas Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and embarked for England on November 1, 1916 on board the SS Caronia. On arrival at Liverpool he was transferred initially to the 30th Battalion and then to the 47th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. He arrived in France on November 28, 1916 and was wounded March  31, 1917. He reported fit for duty April 4 and was killed in action May 1, 1917. After his death, Lilly and the children moved to Vancouver and Lilly died in 1919 from influenza. Their children, Gordon and Mary Frances, went to live first with the Warman family and later with Mr. and Mrs. Reginald Barber, a grocer, in Vancouver. The Canadian government sent the memorial cross, plaque and scroll to Gordon, who with his sister Mary Frances, unveiled the City of Richmond Cenotaph in 1922.

History of the Road Name (Hayne Court):

  • Council Resolution to adopt road name: January 22, 1990 (Road in Section 35-5-6)