Field Sport Strategy
Richmond Field Sport Strategy 2006-2011
Since the fall of 2004, staff have been working closely with Richmond’s field sport community in the preparation of an outdoor field sport strategy. As part of the Council endorsed Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Master Plan it recommends that staff working with the field sport community:
“Develop, adopt and advance the 2005-2015 Sports Field Strategy to ensure the broadest possible public awareness, development and access to the City’s sports fields by all segments of Richmond’s community and to ensure equitable allocation of City-owned sports fields.
(PRCS Master Plan 2006).”
In October 2005, Richmond City Council approved the draft Field Strategy - Strategic Goals, Objectives - Our Playbook for Action and framework for the development of a 2005-2015 Outdoor Field Sport Strategy.
It starts with a vision
In order to create an environment that encourages participation for Richmond residents in outdoor sport activities, an inclusive vision is required. In October 2005, City Council endorsed the vision for field sport in Richmond which is to create an environment where: “Everyone can play.”
The mission of the Field Sport Strategy is to:
- Ensure public awareness of the City’s outdoor sport facilities for all citizens.
- Ensure access to the City’s outdoor sport facilities for all citizens.
- Provide high quality sports surfaces for field sport user groups in the community.
- Encourage outdoor field sport participation opportunities for all Richmond residents.
- Ensure guidelines are developed that promote and support field sport in Richmond.
- Encourage and facilitate innovative and cooperative partnerships for the delivery of outdoor field sports programs in the community.
- Ensure field sport development in Richmond is integrated with the City’s economic, tourism and official community plans.
- Encourage and facilitate field sport tourism in Richmond.
- Provide opportunities for community field sport groups to provide input into future field sport strategies, policies, procedures and budget priorities.
- Recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of Richmond’s athletes, coaches, officials, sports builders and corporate supporters.
The development of the Field Sport Strategy identifies the City of Richmond’s role in field sport delivery, which is threefold:
- To provide outdoor sport facilities such as sports fields, ball diamonds, running tracks and other facilities for the use of outdoor field sport participants.
- To collaborate with outdoor field sport groups to facilitate the growth and development of a variety of affordable sport activity choices for people of all ages in the community.
- To maintain and manage the use of School District and City-owned school and park outdoor sport facilities.
A Field Sport Strategy Steering Committee, representing a broad spectrum of community field sport interests and Richmond Sport Council, was established to provide input into the 2005-2015 Field Sport Strategy’s Playbook for Action goals, objectives and actions. The consultation process also included a survey of Richmond’s 29 field sport associations.
The following strategic goals were identified from input from members of the field sport community, City staff, members of the Richmond Sport Council and the Field Sport Strategy Steering Committee:
- To promote increased participation in field sports in Richmond.
- To improve the quantity and quality of Richmond’s outdoor field sport facilities for all field sport user groups in the community.
- To ensure guidelines are developed that effectively manage the use of field sport facilities in Richmond.
- To encourage and facilitate innovative and cooperative partnerships for the delivery of outdoor field sports programs in the community.
- To ensure field sport development in Richmond is integrated with the City’s economic, tourism and official community plans.
- To encourage and facilitate field sport tourism in Richmond.
- To provide opportunities for community field sport groups to provide input into future field sport strategies, policies, procedures and budget priorities.
- To monitor, evaluate and report back on the Field Sport Playbook for Action.
Field sport plays an essential role in the development of the social, physical, economic and environmental health of Richmond, greatly improves the quality of life for residents, unites the community and contributes greatly to community pride.
The fundamental challenge in field sport service delivery for the next five years and beyond is: “How to meet the ever increasing demand for high quality sports fields, so that everyone who wants to play, can play”. The goals, objectives and actions outlined in the Field Sport Strategy 2006-2011 provide a strong foundation for making significant improvements to the delivery of field sport facilities and service delivery in Richmond for the next five years and beyond.
The Sports Field Strategy also contributes directly to the City of Richmond’s vision of becoming the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
To read the complete Field Sport Strategy 2006-2011, select the following file:
Field Sport Strategy 2006-2011
Playbook for Action 2006-2011 - Action plan for the Field Sports Strategy implementation plan from now until 2011