Call for Presenters
2023 Call for Presenters
The City of Richmond is seeking presentation proposals for the virtual sessions of the 2023 Diversity Symposium, which will be held from Oct 23 to 27, 2023.
The theme for this year’s symposium is Resilience - the ability to adapt and evolve through adversity and change. We are looking for proposals that focus on building resilient communities through the lens of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), including emerging topics and trends, best practices and innovative ideas, or thought-provoking conversations. Deadline for submission is Fri, May 12, 2023 at 9:00am PST.
Why Be a Presenter?
The City of Richmond Diversity Symposium offers a unique opportunity to learn, share and collaborate with a community of DEI practitioners from various municipal governments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, the private sector and academic institutions who are working towards advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Diversity Symposium welcomes proposals that:
- Explore emerging practices and innovative ideas that facilitate understanding and connection across people of diverse backgrounds.
- Provide participants with practical skills, ideas, strategies, and perspectives to tackle challenges and inspire action and social change in their respective fields.
- Identify best practices and lessons learned on pressing social issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
As a conference focused on diversity, equity and inclusion, we are committed to amplifying the voices of equity-deserving groups. Those who identify as a member of equity-deserving groups, such as Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQI+ and other underrepresented groups, are strongly encouraged to submit a proposal. Accessibility accommodations can be made upon request.
All sessions are either 60 or 90 minutes long.
- Individual or Group Presentation – One or more speakers present on a chosen topic, followed by a Q&A period.
- Workshop – A group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject.
- Have an idea for a different format? Let us know!
Important Technology Information and Guidelines
- A brief technical rehearsal will be required of all speakers selected two weeks prior to the scheduled presentation.
- Slide presentations should be made available to City of Richmond staff as backup in case of technical issues.
- All presentations will be recorded and made available to registrants for a limited period after the scheduled presentation.
- Make sure that your device can support WebEx or Zoom platforms.
Each proposal selected for inclusion in the symposium is allocated a $300 honorarium for the presenter’s work in preparing and presenting the session. This honorarium will be shared between speakers who co-present.
May 12, 2023 – Deadline for proposal submission.
May 31, 2023 – Notification of accepted proposals will be issued.
Oct 9 to 20, 2023 – Mandatory technical rehearsal for selected speakers.
We invite you to connect with us by phone at 604-276-4104, or by email at DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca to discuss ideas for proposals.
The online application form is currently not available. Please submit proposals by e-mailing a completed application form to DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca by Friday, May 12, 2023 at 9:00am PST. If this method of applying poses any barriers, contact Peggy Chen, Inclusion Coordinator, at 604-276-4104 or DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca for support.