Let's Start New Holiday Traditions!Here are some simple and eco-friendly tips to help cut down on holiday waste.
- Decorate using greenery in nature such as pinecones, branches, leaves and twigs to make centerpieces and wreaths.
- Reuse gift bags and wrapping paper when possible.
- Try reusable materials such as cotton fabrics to wrap gifts.
- Consider giving shared experiences like a spa treatment or a weekend getaway.
Need more ideas?
Visit Metro Vancouver's "Create memories, not garbage" website to celebrate the holidays with less waste. Here you can find gift ideas, decorating tips and more!
Whether it's an experience or a traditional gift, try out the Merry Memory Maker on Metro Vancouver's website to find green alternatives that fit your budget.
Spruce Up Your Holiday Recycling!
As we huddle inside this holiday season, online gifts of all shapes and sizes come packaged in more than just cheerful wrapping. Shipping packaging such as soft plastic, foam, air pockets and more accumulate. Do you know how to recycle them?
Visit Recycle BC's holiday recycling guide to learn how to recycle common holiday packaging.
Christmas Tree Chipping Event
Give your tree back to nature
When: January 2 & 3 - 9am to 4pm
Where: Garry Point Park
Richmond's Annual Christmas Tree Chipping Event will take place on Saturday, January 2 and Sunday, January 3 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Garry Point Park. Donations are welcomed to help support Richmond Firefighters' Charities.
Due to COVID-19, please note volunteers will not retrieve trees that are inside vehicles this year. Residents will be required to take them out themselves, or have them strapped to the roof so volunteers can safely assist.
Thanks to event sponsors:
Other options to recycle Christmas Trees:
- Drop-off at Richmond Recycling Depot – 5555 Lynas Lane, open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.
- Ecowaste – call 604-277-1410 for hours of operation
- Residents with curbside Green Cart collection can cut up and bundle their tree and place it at the curbside for collection on their regular collection day. Please cut and bundle the tree to a maximum size of 3 feet x 2 feet x 4 inches in diameter