Large Item Pick Up
Collection for Large Household Items
Richmond's Large Item Pick Up program provides a convenient collection service for up to six large household items per year, including tires, mattresses, furniture and appliances. This service is available to single-family homes and townhomes with City garbage collection and/or Blue Box recycling service, as well as, multi-family complexes with City garbage collection.
If your complex is not qualified for the large item pick up service, you can purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.
Please ensure mattresses are wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape before placing curbside for pick-up. Use the plastic wrap from your new mattress to wrap the old one. Large plastic bags are also available for purchase at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and U-Haul.
Mattresses and boxsprings must also be free of bed bugs to ensure they are accepted for recycling at the facility.
Steps on How the Program Works:
- To schedule collection of up to six items per year, residents can contact the City's service provider, Sierra Waste Services at 604-270-4722 or click below to complete an online form:
- Sierra Waste Services will contact you to provide a pick up date and confirmation number.
- On your scheduled pick up date only, place items at the curb or at a location specified by Sierra Waste Services before 7:30 a.m. or no earlier than 8:00 p.m. the night before.
List of Items Accepted
The following guide provides a list of examples of accepted items for pick up along with examples of what cannot be collected through this program due to safety concerns.
Note: The item(s) must be able to be safely handled from curbside in order to qualify for collection.
See Items not Accepted for help with some of these items.
- Items that contain any hazardous liquids such as gas, oil, etc. will not be accepted.
- If the large item is a mattress, please wrap it before placing it out for pick-up on your scheduled collection date. This is to ensure mattresses can be handled safely and recycled to the max. (Note: If mattresses are too wet, they become too heavy to manage and present safety concerns for staff. When the mattresses are dry and in reasonably good shape, 100% of it can be recycled.)
- Residents can continue to purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.