Large Item Pick Up
Collection for Large Household Items
Richmond's Large Item Pick Up program provides a convenient collection service for up to four large household items per year, including mattresses, furniture and appliances. This service is available to single-family homes and townhomes with City garbage collection and/or Blue Box recycling service, as well as, multi-family complexes with City garbage collection.
If your complex is not qualified for the large item pick up service, you can purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.
When you recycle your old mattress, it must be wrapped in plastic before being placed at the curb for pick up. If it's not wrapped, it can't be recycled because it will not be accepted at the recycling processors - wet mattresses are too heavy to handle safely.
Please use the plastic wrap from your new mattress to wrap the old one. Mattress bags are also available for purchase at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and U-Haul.
Steps on How the Program Works:
- To schedule collection of up to four items per year, residents can contact the City's service provider, Sierra Waste Services at 604-270-4722 or click below to complete an online form:
- Sierra Waste Services will contact you to provide a pick up date and confirmation number.
- On your scheduled pick up date only, place items at the curb or at a location specified by Sierra Waste Services before 7:30 a.m. or no earlier than 8:00 p.m. the night before.
List of Items Accepted
The following guide provides a list of examples of accepted items for pick up along with examples of what cannot be collected through this program due to safety concerns.
Note: The item(s) must be able to be safely handled from curbside in order to qualify for collection.
See Items not Accepted for help with some of these items.
- Items that contain any hazardous liquids such as gas, oil, etc. will not be accepted.
- If the large item is a mattress, please wrap it before placing it out for pick-up on your scheduled collection date. This is to ensure mattresses can be handled safely and recycled to the max. (Note: If mattresses are too wet, they become too heavy to manage and present safety concerns for staff. When the mattresses are dry and in reasonably good shape, 100% of it can be recycled.)
- Residents can continue to purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.