Large Item Pick Up
Collection for Large Household Items
Richmond's Large Item Pick Up program provides a convenient collection service for up to six large household items per year, including tires, mattresses, furniture and appliances. This service is available to single-family homes and townhomes with City garbage collection and/or Blue Box recycling service, as well as, multi-family complexes with City garbage collection.
If your complex is not qualified for the large item pick up service, you can purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.
Important Reminder for Mattresses and Upholstered Furniture:
Please ensure mattresses and box springs are dry, wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape before placing curbside for pick-up. Use the plastic wrap from your new mattress or box spring to wrap the old one, alternatively large plastic bags are also available for purchase at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and U-Haul. Upholstered furniture must be kept dry curbside to ensure collection. If tarps are used, these will be left behind for reuse.
Mattresses and box springs must also be free of bed bugs to ensure they are accepted for recycling at the facility.
Steps on How the Program Works:
- To schedule collection of up to six items per year, residents can contact the City's service provider, Sierra Waste Services at 604-270-4722 or click below to complete an online form.
- Sierra Waste Services will contact you to provide a pick up date and confirmation number.
- On your scheduled pick up date only, place items at the curb or at a location specified by Sierra Waste Services before 7:30 a.m. or no earlier than 8:00 p.m. the night before.
List of Items Accepted
The following guide provides a list of examples of accepted items for pick up along with examples of what cannot be collected through this program due to safety concerns.
Note: The item(s) must be able to be safely handled from curbside in order to qualify for collection.
See Where Can I Take It? for help with some of these items.
- Items that contain any hazardous liquids such as gas, oil, etc. will not be accepted.
- If large item is a mattress or box spring, please ensure items are dry, wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape before placing curbside for pick up on your scheduled collection date. this is to ensure mattresses can be handled safely and fully recycled.
- Residents can continue to purchase a Garbage Disposal Voucher for $5 from any City facility and use the voucher to dispose of up to $25 worth of garbage items at the Vancouver Landfill.