About Garbage Collection and Schedule
Do not litter these items:
- Remember – used tissues, disposable wipes, face masks and gloves should all be disposed of in the garbage.
- Place these items into garbage bags and tie the bag securely (no loose items).
- Please do not put any of the items above in your Recycling Bins or Green Cart.
- If you are sick or caring for someone who is sick, please double bag all personal waste in plastic garbage bags.
- Do not dispose wipes, sanitary products, items down toilets, sinks or drains.
Biweekly Garbage Cart Program
Single-family homes and townhomes have reduced their garbage by about 74%. To achieve our goal to reduce garbage by 80% by 2020, Richmond introduced biweekly garbage collection to encourage greater recycling and further divert waste from the landfill. Residents who select a smaller cart size are generating less garbage and as a result, pay less for their annual garbage collection.
Garbage Cart Program
Items Not Accepted
Extra Garbage Disposal Options
Large Item Pick Up Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Garbage Cart Exchange
Residents can exchange their cart for a different size, and their curbside garbage collection fee will be adjusted according to the size selected. There is a $25 fee for Garbage Cart exchanges.
Garbage carts are not available for exchange at the Richmond Recycle Depot.
To request an exchange, residents are asked to call the Environmental Programs line at 604-276-4010 or email Garbage and Recycling.
What to do With Existing Garbage Cans
Existing garbage cans can be used for extra garbage; however, residents will need to purchase a $2 Garbage Tag each time an additional can is used (or use one of the complimentary garbage tags provided with the cart). Other options include:
- use the cans to store household items;
- attach a Green Can decal to the cans to use them for additional yard waste (80 litres or smaller containers only);
- recycle old garbage cans by bringing them to the Richmond Recycling Depot at 5555 Lynas Lane; or
- arrange for them to be collected using Richmond’s Large Item Pick Up program by calling Sierra Waste at 604-270-4722.
Helpful Links and Resources