Green Cart Recycling
Food scraps and yard trimmings are not allowed in the garbage, which means they must be recycled or composted, and the City can be charged fines and other penalties when these organics are found in the garbage. The Green Cart program is available to all residents in Richmond. If commercial operators would like City collection for organics using Green Carts, please send an email to Environmental Programs Office.
Green Carts are available in multiple sizes ( cart sizes) please email Environmental Programs Office or call 604-276-4010 or for details. The cost to exchange a Green Cart is $25.
Kitchen containers are available for pick up at the Richmond Recycling Depot located at 5555 Lynas Lane.
What Goes in Your Green Cart
Please use your Green Cart to recycle yard trimmings, food scraps and food soiled paper. See table below for a list of accepted and not accepted items.
Tips for Using Bundles and Green Cans
Additional food scraps and yard trimmings can be placed in labeled Green Cans and/or paper yard waste bags (trimmings only).
- Ensure Green Can label faces the street to ensure it's easy for collectors to spot
- Containers cannot exceed 80 L in capacity and cannot weigh more than 20 kg
- Keep lids on tight to minimize extra weight from water and keep animals out
- When closing full yard waste bags tightly fold and secure top of bag
- Ensure yard trimmings are tied bundles no larger than 3 feet x 2 feet
(91 cm x 61 cm) in size and branches must be less than 4 inches in diameter
- Green Can decals can be picked up at City Hall, Recycling Depot or email Environmental Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the decals to be mailed to your address.
Related Links and Resources
Food Scraps and Yard Trimmings Recycling Tips
Instructions to fold newspaper bin liner
Video instructions to fold newspaper bin liner
About Green Recycling
Composting at Home