Call for Presenters
Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 12:00 pm PST. Each proposal selected for inclusion in the symposium is allocated a $200 honorarium for its presenter’s work in preparing and presenting the session.
Why be a presenter?
The City of Richmond Diversity Symposium offers a unique opportunity to learn, share and collaborate with a community of professionals and volunteers from various municipal departments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, private sector and academic institutions who are interested in advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Diversity Symposium welcomes proposals that:
- Explore best practices and innovative ideas that facilitate understanding and connection across people of diverse backgrounds.
- Challenge our thinking and inspire action and change.
- Allow participants to make new connections with each other.
- Provide participants with practical skills, ideas, strategies, and perspectives to tackle challenges and opportunities in their respective fields.
- Share case studies and lessons learned on pressing social issues.
- Initiate thought-provoking discussions around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Use an intersectional lens in unpacking the complexities of current social challenges.
- Identify best practices in measuring outcomes and impact.
- Bring multiple stakeholders together to achieve collective impact and social change.
- Facilitate a safe, respectful and thoughtful dialogue among participants.
All sessions are 60 minutes long.
- Presentation – One or more speakers present on a chosen topic. Allow for Q&A within this time frame.
- Panel – Two or more speakers share the time equally, reflecting on topics that complement each other. Allow for Q&A within this time frame.
- Have an idea for a different format? Let us know!
Important Technology Information and Guidelines
All sessions will be taking place virtually on a platform called Webex. The City of Richmond is dedicated to making the virtual presentations of the speakers selected a success. In order to ensure this success:
- A brief technical rehearsal will be required of all speakers selected.
- Slide presentations should be made available to City of Richmond staff as backup in case of technical issues.
- All of the presentations will be recorded.
- Make sure that your device can support Webex.
July 13, 2021 – Deadline for proposal submission.
July 27, 2021 – Notification of accepted proposals will be issued.
August 3, 2021 – Deadline for accepted presenters to confirm participation and submit headshot and presentation agreement.
October 12, 2021 – Deadline for presenters to submit their PowerPoint presentations.