Call for Presenters
2022 Call for Presenters
The City of Richmond is seeking presentation proposals for the 2022 Virtual Diversity Symposium (October 24-28, 2022) that focus on emerging issues and trends, best practices and innovative ideas or thought-provoking dialogues around the practice of diversity, equity and inclusion. Given the virtual format of the conference, applicants must be comfortable and proficient with giving virtual presentations and engaging audiences in an online setting. The deadline for submission is Monday, June 6, 2022 at 5:00pm PST.
Why Be a Presenter?
The City of Richmond Diversity Symposium offers a unique opportunity to learn, share and collaborate with a community of professionals and volunteers from various municipal departments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, the private sector and academic institutions that are working towards advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Explore emerging practices and innovative ideas that facilitate understanding and connection across people of diverse backgrounds.
- Challenge our thinking and inspire action and change.
- Provide participants with practical skills, ideas, strategies and perspectives to tackle challenges and opportunities in their respective fields.
- Share case studies and lessons learned on pressing social issues.
- Initiate thought-provoking discussions around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Use an intersectional lens in unpacking the complexities of current social challenges.
- Identify best practices in measuring outcomes and impact.
- Bring multiple stakeholders together to achieve collective impact and social change.
- Facilitate a safe, respectful and thoughtful dialogue among participants.
All sessions are 60 or 90 minutes long.
- Individual or Group Presentation – One or more speakers present on a chosen topic, followed by a Q&A period.
- Workshop – A group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject.
- Panel – Two or more speakers share the time equally, reflecting on topics that complement each other.
- Have an idea for a different format? Let us know!
- A brief technical rehearsal will be required of all speakers selected two weeks prior to the scheduled presentation.
- Slide presentations should be made available to City of Richmond staff as backup in case of technical issues.
- All of the presentations will be recorded and made available to registrants for a limited period after the scheduled presentation.
- Ensure your device can support WebEx or Zoom webinar.
Each proposal selected for inclusion in the symposium is allocated a $300 honorarium for its presenter’s work in preparing and presenting the session. This honorarium will be shared between speakers who co-present.
Mon, Jun 6, 2022: Deadline for proposal submission
Wed, Jun 22, 2022: Notification of accepted proposals will be issued
Wed, Jun 29, 2022: Deadline for accepted presenters to confirm participation and submit headshot and presentation agreement
Mon, Oct 10, 2022: Deadline for presenters to submit their PowerPoint presentations
Mon, Oct 10-Thu, Oct 20, 2022: Mandatory technical rehearsal for selected speakers
Call 604-276-4391 or email DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca to discuss ideas for proposals.
Submit proposals by completing the online form or by submitting a PDF copy of your proposal to DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca. Contact Dorothy Jo, Program Manager, Social Planning, at 604-276-4391 or DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca if this method of applying poses any barriers or for support.