Registration is now open!
The 2021 City of Richmond Virtual Diversity Symposium is a free, week-long, virtual conference for professionals, volunteers and community members interested in learning, sharing and advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in their communities. This year’s symposium will be held remotely from October 18 to 22, 2021.
Presented by the City of Richmond, this year’s Virtual Diversity Symposium aims to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and tools to build diverse, equitable and inclusive communities.
Who is the Symposium for?
The Symposium is intended for people who work in the field of diversity and inclusion, such as professionals and volunteers from various municipal departments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, private sector and academic institutions.
2021 Virtual Diversity Symposium Schedule
We strive to host an inclusive and accessible event that enables individuals of all abilities to engage fully in our sessions. Please indicate on the session registration page if you require ASL or closed captioning, and we will do our best to accommodate your request. For inquiries about accessibility, please contact Aliez Kay-Kuzik, Inclusion Coordinator, at email@example.com or 604-276-4104.
All Symposium sessions are taking place virtually on the Cisco Webex platform. If you have never logged in to a Webex session before, please prepare your device prior to the session by following the instructions below:
To join from a desktop or laptop device:
- You will need to install a Webex extension; this can be done any time before the session starts. You will only need to do this once, as long as you are using the same computer and browser. We recommend you download and install Webex at your earliest convenience.
- If you are not able to install software on your computer, you can use a Temporary File solution (TFS); this option will be displayed 15 minutes before the meeting starts. You will need to use this option each time you join a session.
To join from a tablet or mobile device:
- If you are using an iPad or an iPhone, you need to download the free Webex app from the Apple Store.
- If you are using an Android device, you need to download the free Android app from the Google Store.
For technical support or assistance with installation, please call Webex customer service at 1-866-569-3239.
Alternatively, Richmond Public Library staff are available to help with Webex or other technology questions related to your smartphone, tablet or computer by phone. Simply call 604-231-6413 for 1-on-1 help from a librarian.
City of Richmond Code of Conduct
The City of Richmond is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all participants, presenters and volunteers. All participants are responsible for conducting themselves in a respectful and considerate manner. This includes, but is not limited to, the following expectations:
- Attempt collaboration before conflict;
- Refrain from using demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behaviour and speech, including using words, gestures, actions, images, or displays that may humiliate, ridicule, insult or degrade;
- Do not disrupt the virtual meeting (e.g. “zoom-bombing”) or engage in harm or threats of harm of any kind; and
- Refrain from contributing to a safety threat or an unsafe or exclusionary interaction.
Participants who do not uphold the above expectations may be expelled from the session and the Diversity Symposium at the discretion of the City of Richmond.
Register for Online Sessions
Please click on the title of each session below to find out more information and to register for that particular session. You can also download the 2021 Virtual Diversity Symposium Program Guide for more details.
Opening Session: The Refugee Experience in Shaping Cities and Communities
Date: Monday, October 18, 2021 | 10:00 to 11:00 am
Speaker: John Nsabimana
Decolonizing Vantage Points: Transforming Learning Edges
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 | 10:00 to 11:00 am
Speaker: Rain Daniels and Chelsey Branch
You Know Who You Are: Cultivating Resilience for Transgender and Other 2SLGBT Persons
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 | 1:00 to 2:00 pm
Speaker: Morgane Oger
Inclusive Decision Making with the Dementia and Disability Community
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 | 10:00 to 11:00 am
Speakers: Jessica Fehrenbacher, Myrna Norman, Jerry Gosling
How Ableism Ruins Everything – Even if You aren’t Disabled
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 | 1:00 to 2:00 pm
Speaker: Gabrielle Peters
Anti-Racist Organizational Change
Date: Thursday, October 21, 2021 | 10:00 to 11:00 am
Speakers: Joenita Paulrajan and Parker Johnson
Film Screening and Discussion: Through My Eyes: A Blind Woman’s Journey to Seeing Limitless Possibilities
Date: Thursday, October 21, 2021 | 5:00 to 6:15 pm
Panelists: Shawn Marsolais, Candice Macalino, Harjinder “Jinnie” Saran
Closing Session: Building Back Better: Leading Strategy and Program Development through Co-design
Date: Friday, October 22, 2021 | 10:00 to 11:00 am
Speakers: Precious Ile, Amarachi Nnah-Ogbonda
Please submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.