COVID-19: Housing Resources
Support for Renters and Vulnerable Populations
On March 25, 2020, the BC Government announced a plan to support renters and landlords during the provincial state of emergency and help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Below is a summary of the current measures the BC Government has in place to support renters at this time:
- New annual rent increases are frozen from March 30, 2020 to July 10, 2021.
- All landlords must provide repayment plans to tenants who did not pay rent between March 18, 2020 and August 18, 2020. The repayment period starts on the date the repayment plan is given by the landlord to the tenant and ends on July 10, 2021.
- A landlord may enter a rental unit, while wearing a mask, for any of the following reasons by providing the tenant with proper notice:
- Conducting move-in and move-out condition inspections
- Making regular repairs
- Conducting a monthly condition inspection
- Showing the unit to prospective tenants. Restricted to a maximum of six people, if space allows
Information for Renters
The following are links with additional information on renter resources and supports
During the COVID-19 outbreak, vulnerable populations are particularly at risk. The following documents provides information aimed at vulnerable populations:
Fact Sheet for Unsheltered People
Information Sheet: Harm Reduction and Overdose Response
Mailer: COVID-19 & Accessing Income Assistance without coming to an office