Short Term Rentals
In Richmond, residents can offer two types of short term rentals (less than 30 days) in their home – Bed and Breakfast rentals or Boarding and Lodging rentals. Both types of short term rentals require a permit.
Bed & Breakfasts (B&B's)
This applies to residents who host traditional B&Bs, including those who are simply renting rooms within their homes. See the Bed and Breakfast Business page for more information.
Boarding & Lodging
This applies when the short term rental involves no more than two people at a time. Criteria for a Boarding and Lodging License include, but are not limited to:
- The operator must be a registered individual owner of the premises, a director of a registered corporate owner, or have the permission of a registered owner.
- The premises must be the operator's principal residence
- If the premises are a strata lot, the operator must have the permission of the strata council
- The operator must not provide boarding and lodging to more than two (2) guests at one time
- The operator must not provide or install any equipment or facilities (used for food preparation) in any bedroom or sleeping unit intended for guest accommodations
Find further information regarding boarding and lodging applications:
- Business Licence Bylaws No. 7360 - Section 2.5
- Business Regulation Bylaw No. 7538 - Section 23
Short term rental of the entire house or residential unit for less than 30 days is not permitted under any circumstance.
Long term rentals of more than 30 days are allowed in residentially-zoned properties (single-family and multi-family) as long as there are no B&B operations in the home.
Contact the Business Licence Department to apply for a Bed and Breakfast or Lodging License or to find out more information
- In-person at City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, 8:15am-5:00pm, Mon-Fri (excluding statutory holidays)