Bed and Breakfast Business
B&B Licence Requirements
- B&Bs can only exist in Single-family detached homes that do not contain secondary suites, granny flats or coach houses
- B&Bs are not permitted in homes that already have boarding and lodging
- B&Bs must be operated by the property owner or an immediate family member, such as spouse or child
- The house must be the principal residence of the owner/operator, and the operator must provide annual verification of residency as part of the licence renewal process
- Operators must notify neighbours of the proposed short term residential rental operation and provide contact information
- Up to three rooms can be rented at the same time, with a maximum of two guests per room
- A 500-metre buffer from existing B&B rentals will be required for all new operations
Apply for a Bed and Breakfast Business Licence
Please have the following information ready when applying for a Bed and Breakfast (B&B) business licence:
- Business Licence Application Form
- Identification: Must prove that either the owner of the home or an immediate family member resides in the home.
- Floor Plans of the Home: Plans must be drawn to scale and show the entire floor area of all levels of the residence proposed to be used for the B&B. Plans must further indicate the use of each room and clearly label those rooms proposed to be used for the B&B.
- Fire Evacuation Plan: Show each room proposed to be part of the B&B including exits, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors. Fire evacuation plans must be posted in each bedroom in a B&B. showing each room proposed to be rented.
- Landscaping and Site Plan: Plan must show landscaping elements, hard-surfacing (asphalt, concrete, pavers etc.), patios and architectural elements (fencing, walls, etc.).
- Parking Plan: Identify vehicle parking spaces for residents of the home and parking spaces for B&B guests.
- Signage: Include a Application for Sign Permit for any signs to be included to identify the B&B business.
- Notification Letter: Provide a sample of the notification letter that will be provided to neighbours.
- Guest Registration Form: Include a copy of the registration form that will be used to record information from guests.