WindowsAlways keep your windows closed and locked.
Sliding windows can be secured with:
- A small screw drilled into the top and bottom tracks to prevent the window from being lifted out of the frame.
- Install a sliding window lock or use a piece of wood cut to fit snugly into the bottom track to prevent the window from being forced open.
- To increase the usefulness of the sliding window lock, close the window, screw the sliding window lock tight enough to leave a mark in the frame. Remove the lock and drill a small hole in the mark. Replace the sliding window lock into the new hole.
- Do not use a sliding window lock that has a separate key, as the key could be misplaced which is dangerous in an emergency.
- If you have window bars installed, they must be equipped with quick release devices so people can get out quickly in an emergency.