LightingCriminals hide in the dark.
Maximize your home's lighting to increase your doors and windows visibility.
Outside lighting should illuminate exterior doors, windows and your driveway.
- Use the highest wattage bulb your outdoor light fixture accepts.
- Use motion sensor lights to illuminate windows and entryways (available at hardware stores).
- Install lights at least 10 feet off the ground for better illumination.
- Install tamper-proof protective cages around exterior light bulbs.
- Consider installing an alarm system activated strobe light on the roof of your house.
- Leave outside lights on from dusk to dawn.
- Address numbers should be well lit to help emergency personnel locate your home quickly.
Use Light Timers inside your home
- Light timers give the illusion of occupancy (available at hardware stores).
- Installed throughout your home and programmed to go on and off to mimic your normal schedule.