GaragesGarages often contain valuables such as power tools and bikes. Once inside your garage, thieves can attempt to gain unobserved entry into your home.
- Secure garage windows with bars or security film (available at glass supply companies).
- Keep your garage doors locked (including the internal door into your home).
- Keep the area around the garage doors and windows well-lit.
- Keep landscaping around your garage trimmed to prevent interfering with the site lines to your property from the street and your neighbours.
- Be sure the overhead garage door closes completely after you drive into or out of your garage.
- When you move into a new home, change the garage door opener remote code so that other remotes cannot open your garage door.
- Keep your garage door remote out of sight in your vehicle (or keep it with you), don't store it on your vehicle's sun visor. If your vehicle is broken into and the remote stolen, the thieves have easy access to your garage, and possibly, into your home.
- Keep your vehicle locked.
- Remove the keys from vehicles parked inside your garage even if the garage is locked. Do not leave your wallet and/or personal identification in your vehicle.
- Be cautious when gardening or doing other outdoor activities. Make sure you do not leave your garage door open or unlocked. If you are distracted, an opportunistic thief may enter your garage and home.
- Engrave your property with your BC Drivers Licence number or your BC ID number. If your property is stolen and recovered by the Police, your property can be returned to you. If your property is not engraved and stolen, it may be impossible for the Police to return your property to you.
Garage doors leading into your home:
- Use a good quality deadbolt with a 1 inch throw (the part that extends into the door frame).
- Always keep this door locked.
- Install a strike plate, (the flat metal plate that fits on the door frame that accepts the deadbolt throw when locked). The strike plate should be 6" to 8" long and installed with 3" long screws to give maximum support.