Schools and Playgrounds Traffic Safety
Help Improve Traffic Conditions Around Schools and Playgrounds
- Respect the 30 km/hr school zone and playground speed limit.
- Do not stop in a No Stopping zone for any reason.
- Do not park in a No Parking zone.
- Do not pass a stopped school bus with red flashing lights on. When overhead red lights are flashing on a stopped school bus, all traffic must stop and not proceed until the bus has started moving again.
- Do not pass other vehicles in a school zone.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at all intersections and crosswalks.
- Pedestrians should walk facing traffic, if there is no sidewalk, walk as far to the left as possible.
- Teach children to look left, right and left again and always make eye contact with drivers before crossing the road. Don't just assume the driver will stop.
- Wear fluorescent or brightly coloured clothing to be visible to drivers.