Around the Home
There are many ways to make your entire home safer for children. Here are some things you can do to prevent common injuries around the home.
- Avoid drinking hot drinks when children are sitting on your lap.
- Always leave the collapsible side of a playpen up; a collapsed side can form a pocket which could cause suffocation.
- Don't leave buttons, coins or other small objects within a child's reach since young children often explore the world by putting things around them into their mouth.
- Keep all cleaners out of reach. Store them in their original containers with their original labels, and not in food and drink bottles.
- Even a small amount of alcohol or nicotine can be toxic for a child. Keep alcohol and cigarettes out of reach of children.
- Falls/Head Injuries
- Use safety gates and window guards to prevent falls.
- If you have glass doors, be sure to put a colourful sticker on them at a child's eye level to prevent children from walking into them.