Accidents involving fireplaces and heating equipment are a major cause of home fires. Most of these fires can be prevented.Vents and Chimneys
All fuelled heaters must be vented in accordance with local building and fire codes to prevent dangerous carbon monoxide build up inside your home. Creosote and carbon deposits can build up in a chimney and pose a fire hazard. Have your chimney inspected by a professional before heating season and cleaned if needed. If you use a wood stove, have the flues and chimney connections inspected and cleaned regularly. Unusually high concentrations of chimney deposits could mean your fireplace or wood stove is not burning efficiently and should be inspected. Consider installing a spark arrester on top of any chimney that vents a solid-fuel stove or fireplace.
When you use your fireplace, always protect your home from sparks by using a fire screen made of sturdy metal or heat tempered glass. Burn only wood in your fireplace, be sure that dampers are in proper working order, and never leave fires unattended - especially in an area used by children or pets.
Place an approved stove board under any wood or coal stove to protect the floor from heat and spray embers. Install wood and coal stoves at least three feet away from walls and keep combustible materials away from the stove and its chimney connections.