Animal RegulationsAnimal Bylaws
City Bylaws regulate dog ownership (Dog Licensing), as well as how dogs must be housed and controlled. For dog owners and dog walkers the most common regulations can be found in our Information for Dog Owners Brochure.
For regulation pertaining to all types of pets, farm animals or wildlife, refer to the appropriate bylaw below:
- Animal Control Bylaw No. 7932 (pet rules)
- Dog Licensing Bylaw No. 7138 (pet fees)
- Parks and School Grounds Bylaw No. 7310 (off leash areas)
- Business Regulation Bylaw No. 7538 (pet stores)
- Noise Regulation Bylaw No. 8856 (barking dogs)
- Urban Wildlife in Richmond (coyotes, raccoons, snow geese)
City Bylaws regulate cat ownership under Section 2.2 of the Animal Control Regulation Bylaw #7932. More information regarding both feral and indoor/outdoor cats, can be found in the links listed below:
- What is the solution to pet overpopulation?
- How can I help feral cats in my neighbourhood?
- Caring for Cats
- Welcoming a new cat into your home
- Introducing your new cat to your resident cat
- Litterbox training your cat
- My cat has stopped using the litter box
- My cat bites me when I pet her, how do I stop her?
For questions related to animal regulations or to report dogs off-leash, dogs running at large, injured or dead animals, please contact the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA) at 604-709-4668.
1205 E 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5T 1R1
To report or follow-up on a dog bite or barking dog investigation, please contact BC SPCA at 604-709-4668.