To further support public safety and reduce the spread of COVID-19, the City of Richmond requires the wearing of masks in all indoor City-operated facilities.
Face Mask Requirement
Wearing a face mask is an additional measure we can take to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and keep each other safe. This means that, with some exceptions, all individuals entering a City-operated building are required to wear a face mask while inside including:
- Patrons participating in programs or services offered in the facility
- Individuals conducting business or providing a service while in the building
Wearing a mask is not an alternative to physical distancing, regular hand washing, staying home when feeling unwell and all other COVID-19 health guidelines. Every effort should be made to keep a 2-metre distance even when wearing a face mask. All other safety protocols implemented in City-operated buildings must be followed.Exemptions to the Face Mask Requirement
Those exempt from wearing a face mask while inside City-operated buildings include individuals:
- Five years and under
- With a sensory, cognitive or physical disability
- With a chronic health condition that is respiratory in nature
- Who are deaf or hard of hearing who may face increased communication challenges by wearing a mask
- Who are unable to place or remove a face mask without assistance
It is vital that individuals are not stigmatized or judged if they are unable to wear a face mask due to a listed exemption. We ask for patience and kindness as everyone adjusts and navigates through these uncertain times.
Those who are not able to wear a face mask, for medical or other reasons, are asked to maintain a safe distance for the protection of themselves and those around them.Face Mask Optional Activities
Programs and physical activities exempt from the mandatory face mask requirement (and considered "mask optional" activities in designated spaces) include:
- Swimming and aquatic programs
- School year licensed child care for grades 3 and under
- Arena practices
Individuals are still welcome to choose to wear a face mask while participating in activities that have been designated as "mask optional."Wear Your Mask Correctly
Wearing your mask incorrectly is like not wearing it at all. Masks are most effective when fitted, worn and handled correctly. Masks should:
- Cover the nose, mouth and chin without gapping
- Be made of three layers of fabric, including two layers of tightly woven fabric, with a filter or filter fabric between layers
- Include a filter when there are two layers with a pocket for a filter
- Face shields
- Mouth shields
- Masks with exhalation valves or vents
- A bandana, neck gaiter or scarf
Responsibilities and Compliance
Individuals should bring and wear their own face mask. Single use disposable face masks will be provided if necessary. Please make sure to dispose of used disposable face masks into a waste bin. If one is not available, store your used materials in a paper bag until they can be disposed of properly. Ensure you wash your hands using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after removing your face mask.
Individuals are expected to make good personal decisions regarding the use of face masks. Staff will be informing individuals who are not wearing a face mask that they are required to wear one. Our primary focus is on education, and staff will do what they can to find a workable solution.
The City of Richmond is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all patrons, participants, staff and volunteers. Every individual entering a City-operated building is expected to behave in a socially responsible manner that respects the rights of others. The City of Richmond expects all individuals to be responsible for their personal conduct.Additional Resources