Rapid Response to Homelessness
In the on-going effort to address local affordable housing needs, BC Housing and the City of Richmond have partnered to provide rental housing and services for Richmond’s most vulnerable residents. BC Housing through its Rapid Response to Homelessness Program and the City through its Affordable Housing Strategy, are committed to ensuring everyone has a place to call home.
On May 18, 2018, Richmond City Council approved the Rapid Response to Homelessness modular supportive housing for 7300 Elmbridge Way. Supportive housing provides residents with a place to live and services to help them move towards housing independence and improved quality of life.
A 3-storey modular housing building with 40 safe and secure rental homes and supportive services will be located on the site for up to five years. Services will include breakfast and a hot meal each day, life-skills training, and access to primary health and mental health services. This type of housing fills a housing gap in Richmond for individuals seeking to exit the shelter system or streets, and moving towards housing independence and improved quality of life. The supportive housing will be managed safely and responsibly by RainCity Housing, an experienced and professional supportive housing operator.
BC Housing will now begin the development process for the housing. This will include:
- Development Permit Application (2-3 months)
- Building Permit Application (2 months)
- Construction and Occupancy (3-4 months)
The anticipated project timeline is as follows:
- December 2018: site preparation of the supportive housing and relocation of the interim off leash dog park at the north end of the site
- February 2019: construction of the supportive housing and temporary shut-down of the off leash dog park
- March 2019: landscaping of the supportive housing site and long-term (5 years) off leash dog park
- March/April 2019: anticipated completion of site work and construction of the unites including occupancy
Understanding Homelessness in Richmond Fact Sheet
Understanding Homelessness in Richmond Fact Sheet (Chinese translation)
Proposal Fact Sheet
Community Meeting Information Boards
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions - Chinese Translation
Staff report to Council