About Child CareThe City of Richmond recognizes that child care is an important service for its residents, is an essential need for working parents, and supports parents who are pursuing their education. A key goal of the City’s commitment to child care is to promote the establishment and maintenance of a comprehensive child care
- Child Care Needs Assessment and Strategy
- Finding Child Care in Richmond - Information on the BC Child Care Subsidy, types of licensed child care, resources for parents searching for quality child care in Richmond and resources for finding licensed child care programs
- Creating Child Care Space - Basic steps for creating licensed child care spaces in Richmond and resources for operators
- Child Care Grant Program - Information about annual Child Care Capital Grants and Child care Professional and Program Development Grants
- Child Care Development Advisory Committee – Responds to child care issues in the community and provides advice to Richmond City Council
The City of Richmond demonstrates its commitment to child care by partnering with other levels of government and the private and non-profit sectors to create child care spaces, and through the following initiatives:
Child Care Development Policy
The Provincial Government is responsible for child care legislation, policy, facility licensing, fee subsidies to low-income families, and program support. For information on the child care subsidy, principles of child care in British Columbia, and guidelines for municipalities to support local child care needs, please visit the BC Ministry of Children and Family Development.
For a guide to selecting and monitoring child care in BC, visit the BC Government’s Parents’ Guide to Selecting and Monitoring Child Care in BC.
Education and child care fall primarily under provincial jurisdiction, and the federal role is limited largely to the transfer of funds to provincial and territorial governments for early childhood programs and services. The federal government also provides the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) to families with children under the age of 18 years old.
Program Manager, Child Care
Community Social Development
- BC Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Child Care Resource & Referral Centre
- Vancouver Coastal Health - Child Care Resource Page
- Vancouver Coastal Health - Child Care Facility Licensing
- Richmond Child Care Design Guidelines
- Building Approvals Bulletin
- Enhanced Accessibility Design Guidelines
- Building Facilities Design Guidelines
- Richmond Kids