Richmond Sports Wall of Fame
Nominations for the Richmond Sports Wall of Fame are now being accepted.
The Richmond Sports Wall of Fame is an opportunity to celebrate the history of sport in Richmond and provides a focal point for the community to recognize the achievements of past athletes, Master's Athlete, Team, Coach, Official, Builder, Pioneer, Special Achievement of sport in Richmond. The Wall of Fame and accompanying Sports Wall of Fame digital kiosk are both prominently located in the Richmond Olympic Oval.
Nominations are being accepted in eight categories; athlete, builder, coach, official, pioneer, special achievement, team and master's athlete.
Nomination Form - Athlete
Nomination Form - Builder
Nomination Form - Coach
Nomination Form - Official
Nomination Form - Pioneer
Nomination Form - Special Achievement
Nomination Form - Team
Nomination Form - Master's Athlete
Key criteria to be considered in all of the inductee categories for the Wall of Fame include the following:
1. Residency or strong connection to the community through either training in Richmond, membership in a Richmond sport organization or participation on a Richmond based team. Preference will be given to individuals who lived in Richmond during their participation in their sport.
2. Achievement at community, provincial, national, international or world championship level.
3. In good standing at the time of their achievement with the related provincial, national or international sport if applicable.
4. Athlete be retired from the sport for which they are nominated for a minimum of five years.*
5. Contribution back to the community of Richmond, either in their sport or beyond their specific sport.
6. Higher than average proficiency in more than one sport.
7. Richmond sport organization or school team that is made up of a minimum of 75 per cent Richmond residents. Team members’ names will not be included on the Wall of Fame plaque, but individual names will be included in the accompanying electronic kiosk.
8. Teams that have won a championship or title at the national and/or international level in a given year.
9. Nomination forms to be submitted by December 31 of each year. Unsuccessful nomination forms will be returned to the nominator and accompanying supported materials after three years.
10. Unless directed by the committee, all discussion and decisions of the Wall of Fame Nomination Committee to remain in strict confidence so as to ensure that the committee speaks with one voice and that individual and group privacy is respected.
11. Coach - Compiled an outstanding record of coaching/managing championships teams and/or athletes, and complied an extraordinary winning record or have achieved other outstanding accomplishments, with consideration given to integrity, sportsmanship and character.
12. Pioneer - Attained a high level of excellence and brought honour and recognition to Richmond sport and sport history. Nominees must exhibit a "pioneering" quality in athletic, builder, or team accomplishments, involving some aspect of innovation, or trailblazing that changed the shape of sport in Richmond for those who followed 40 years prior to the current year.
13. Special Achievement - This special recognition award is presented from time to time to an individual(s) who has (have) made a significant contribution to sport in Richmond, but who would not otherwise qualify for induction into Richmond's Sports Wall of Fame. This candidate(s) must exemplify good character and dedication, and provide inspiration to present and future generations.
14. Master's Athlete - As defined by their sport governing body.
* Special consideration may be given to individuals and teams still competing in their sport related to Olympic medal success, international championships or world records that have been sanctioned by the appropriate international sport federation.
Nomination deadline for the 2017 Richmond Sports Wall of Fame is Saturday, December 31, 2016. Nominations can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
City of Richmond
Attention: Sports Wall of Fame Nominating Committee
City of Richmond, Community Services Division
5599 Lynas Lane
Richmond, BC V7C 5B2
Sports Wall of Fame Nomination Process
Sports Wall of Fame Brochure