Dogs In Parks
Dogs Off-Leash Areas
UPDATE (Aug 24, 2018): McDonald Beach dogs off-leash area has reopened following a week long closure due to a fuel spill west of the park. Thank you for your patience.
The designation of dogs off-leash areas is an initiative by the City of Richmond and the Regional Animal Protection Society (RAPS), in consultation with the community, to provide areas where responsible owners may exercise their dogs on or off-leash.
- Dogs must be kept under control by their owners at all times.
- Stoop and Scoop: clean up after your dog.
- Dog owners must carry a leash at all times.
- All dogs must be currently and visibly licensed.
- Dog owners must maintain effective verbal control of their dogs and always be able to see their dog when off the leash.
- Any dog exhibiting aggressive behaviour must be leashed immediately.
To report animal cruelty, please contact the BC SPCA at 604-879-7343.
Designated Dogs Off-Leash Locations
The following locations are available for Off-Leash activities:
- McDonald Beach Park
- Steveston Community Park - beside the fenced baseball diamond
- No. 3 Road Waterfront Park - South foot of No. 3 Road along South Dyke Trail
- Woodwards Slough
- Shell Road and Horseshoe Slough Trails
- East Richmond/Hamilton Area - along Thompson Road
- Aberdeen Neighbourhood Park - at Hazelbridge Way and Sweet Ave NEW!
- McCallan Park
- Corner of Elmbridge Way and Alderbridge Road (temporary)
- South Arm Community Park
- Garden City Park - along Granville Avenue, near parking area (temporarily closed for construction)
- Please note: the Garden City Park dog off-leash area is currently being renovated and will remain closed during construction. Work is anticipated to be completed this fall.