The City of Richmond's Adopt-A-Street Program recognizes that Richmond residents and visitors appreciate roadside areas free of litter and trash. This program is an opportunity for community members and groups to volunteer to help keep Richmond streets clean, contributing to the overall livability and beautification of the city.
Possible locations for Adopt-A-Street initiatives include:
- Storefront sidewalks
Individuals, community groups, business owners, schools, churches, strata councils and anyone who expresses interest in adopting a street in Richmond are encouraged to participate. Due to traffic safety concerns, some street adoptions may be limited.
People or groups adopting a given area for a minimum one year period will be recognized as contributors to the Partners for Beautification Program on signs posted by the City at either end of the adopted area. The signs will remain for the duration of the adoption period.
Other components of the program include:
- Challenging other groups, schools, businesses and/or neighbours to see who can keep the cleanest street!
- Provisions of sponsored garbage bags and litter collection equipment for scheduled clean-ups
- Volunteer training and safety information
- Traffic safety vests for all volunteers on scheduled clean-ups
- Certificates of recognition for participants
- Coordinated garbage collection pick-up provided to all groups on clean-up days
- Storefront Partners for Beautification stickers that recognize responsible businesses who are committed to keeping their parking lots and store front property clean and appealing for the enjoyment of Richmond residents and visitors.
Applications for the Adopt-A-Street program are reviewed by the City of Richmond Parks staff. Minimum terms for adoption include:
- 1 km sections of the dyke trails
- 1 km of city streets
- Business parking lots and sidewalk areas
For more information, contact the Parks Program Coordinator at 604-247-4453.