Richmond calls on public to help design new Steveston Community Centre and Branch Library
02 Feburary 2021
Richmond residents are being called on to take part in upcoming opportunities to help design the new 60,350 sq. ft. Steveston Community Centre and Branch Library planned for Steveston Community Park.
Council recently approved the site for a new Steveston Community Centre and Branch Library to replace the existing aging and outdated facility. The next step is to develop a concept design for the building, which will help determine its orientation within the specified site, floor layout, as well as form and character.
Public engagement is fundamental to this process to ensure the new building meets the current and future needs of residents and visitors, and encourages and supports a healthy lifestyle while fostering a sense of community.
In keeping with COVID-19 safety measures, this engagement will take place online and offer several ways for residents and stakeholders to provide input into this phase of the design process:
- Participate in three online design sessions (charrettes)
- Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 5-6pm
- Thursday, February 11, 2021, 5-6pm
- Friday, February 12, 2021, 5-6 pm
- Online engagement through LetsTalkRichmond.ca. From March 4 until March 21, residents and stakeholders can visit the site to view project information, ask questions and submit online feedback.
- A virtual Open House on Thursday, March 11. This session includes a walk-through of the proposed design followed by a question and answer session with the architects from HDR. Visit www.richmond.ca/facilityprojects for log-in information.
Recognizing that not everyone can be involved in online engagement, the City has also arranged a limited number of in-person opportunities for residents to share feedback and input on the design process.
On Wednesday, March 10 and Saturday, March 13, a series of appointments will be available at the Steveston Community Centre and Branch Library. These will be conducted within the parameters of the Provincial Health Orders and adhere to strict COVID safety protocols, meaning pre-registration is required. They are not walk-in opportunities and are provided for those unable to offer input online. For more information and to schedule an appointment, call 604-238-8091.