Managing VolunteersDepending on the size and scope, volunteers can play a major role in an event's success.
Selecting and developing a successful team depends on many steps that must be thoroughly planned and executed. These steps include planning, recruiting, interviewing and screening volunteers. Once the volunteers have been selected, a focus should be placed on their orientation and training, as well as the motivation, communication and staff/volunteer relations.
Below are suggested steps you may wish to follow when developing a team of volunteers:
- Discuss and assign ONE committee member as the Volunteer Coordinator and other committee members as supervisors for volunteers in each area of the event.
- Discuss and determine volunteer needs for all sections of the event. For example, which areas need help and how many volunteers are needed?
- Group and categorize volunteer needs by assigning job titles and their associated duties/responsibilities to meet the needs.
- Determine a budget for volunteers (i.e. feeding volunteers, t-shirts, accreditation, recognition gifts, etc.). Consider seeking sponsorship to cover these costs.
- Review the event date and time and set up a schedule for each volunteer job.
- Develop volunteer orientation and training.
- Develop a recruitment message that includes the event date, brief volunteer duties, orientation dates, Volunteer Coordinator’s contact details (name, email, phone number and event website, if possible) and incentives.
- Recruit through advertising in local newspapers, community and sporting groups, etc.
- Develop a Volunteer Application Form.
- Screen, interview and select successful candidates.
- Confirm positions for each volunteer placement.
- Carry out orientations and training for each volunteer job.
- If necessary, develop and assign volunteer badges/accreditation.
- Reward and recognize the volunteers during and/or after the event.
The Events/Rentals Office can provide information on recruiting the City of Richmond’s special events volunteers.