Alternate Presiding Election Official
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
The City of Richmond is looking for motivated and high-performing individuals to work the 2022 General Local and School Election as Alternate Presiding Election Officials. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan City, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada. This is a great opportunity to join the 2022 Election team and serve your community.
Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO)
2022 General Local and School Election
Do you have supervisory and leadership experience leading the activities of a small team and have you participated in an election process? If so, we are looking for you!
The Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO) is the assistant supervisor who works with the Presiding Election Official (PEO) in conducting all election proceedings at a voting place in accordance with the Local Government Act. The APEO takes direction from and reports to the PEO. The APEO will be called upon to substitute for the PEO in the event of an emergency and/or in the unlikely event of the PEO’s absence.
Examples of key work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure, under the guidance of the PEO, that the voting place is operated in compliance with election procedures and rules and in accordance with the Local Government Act
- Attend training sessions and thoroughly review all training materials
- Provide direction and support to Election Officials (EOs) and Information and Safety Ambassadors (ISA) on Election Day(s)
- Supervise the setup of the vote counting unit/ballot box, the computer and the voting place (booths, signage, and supplies)
- Assemble, with the PEO, the vote counting unit/ballot box prior to the opening of the poll
- Provide assistance to electors including responding to all enquiries
- Supervise staff in the operation of the vote counting unit including ensuring staff assist electors to insert ballots into the vote counting unit while maintaining the secrecy of the ballot
- Supervise staff in handling vote counting unit messages
- Conduct voter registration, including ensuring electors have the necessary registration documentation/identification
- Ensure all registration, and other documentation, are accurately and thoroughly completed
- Assist in the supervision of the closing of the voting place, including conducting closing procedures on the vote counting unit/ballot box and possibly delivering all election equipment and supplies to the Election Headquarters
- Assist in ensuring compliance to safety requirements in accordance with the site specific Election Communicable Disease plan
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by the PEO
The Alternate Presiding Election Official Should:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number
- Have previous experience working in an election as APEO or Election Official (EO), preferably in a local government election
- Not be actively working for any election campaign, elector organization or candidate
- Not be related to a candidate running for office in the 2022 General Local and School Election
- Be a non-partisan representative of the 2022 Richmond Election/City of Richmond and agree to maintain a non-partisan stance on the election, candidates and related activity while working at the voting location. This includes, but is not limited to digital (i.e. online and social media) presence
- Attend training sessions prior to voting day(s)
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide a high level of customer service
- Skill and ability in dealing tactfully and courteously with the public
- Ability to multitask, identify and adapt to changing priorities for self and staff
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to solve practical problems
- Ability to clearly explain election procedures
- Knowledge and aptitude for working with technology
- Proficiency in a second language is considered an asset
Voting Hours: 8:00am to 8:00pm
Hours of Work: Approximately 6:30am to 9:00pm, or until dismissed by the Presiding Election Official (PEO)
- General Election Day: $320 per day
- Advance Voting Day(s): $320 per day
- Training Allowance: $125 total for mandatory training sessions
The City of Richmond’s Election office offers competitive pay rates and extensive training. If you are looking to be a part of the 2022 General Local and School Election, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please complete and submit the application survey.
The position of the Alternate Presiding Election Official will remain open until all positions are filled.
Please send an email to electionsHR@richmond.ca should you have any questions.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada