General Information for Candidates
The 2021 Richmond By-Election will be held on Saturday, May 29, 2021 to elect one Councillor as a result of a vacancy in November 2020. The new Councillor elected in 2021 will serve along with the other members of Richmond City Council until the next scheduled General Local and School Election, on October 15, 2022.
- Important Dates
- Elections BC contacts
- Elections BC Regulations
- Elections BC Guides and Forms
- Candidate Expense Limits
- Third Party Expense Limits
- November 17, 2020 to April 30, 2021 - Election Period
- April 13, 2021 (9:00 am) to April 23, 2021 (4:00 pm) - Nomination Period
- May 1, 2021 to May 29, 2021 - Campaign Period
- May 15, 19, 20, and 22, 2021 - Advance Voting Days
- May 29, 2021 - General Voting Day
- August 27, 2021 (4:30 pm) - Financial Disclosure Statement Deadline
Contact Elections BC if you have questions about campaign financing, election advertising and third party sponsor rules.
Elections BC contacts for candidates and elector organizations
Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Local Elections Campaign Financing (toll-free): 1-800-661-8683
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Act
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Expense Limit Regulation
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in B.C for Candidates and their Financial Agents
- Disclosure Statement Forms for Candidates
- Financing Arrangement Forms and Instructions
- Campaign account letter for savings institutions
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC for Elector Organizations and their Financial Agents
- Disclosure Statement Forms for Elector Organizations
- Campaign Financing Arrangement Forms and Instructions
Third Party Sponsors
Candidate Expense Limits
As outlined by Elections BC, all candidates in the 2018 local government elections, including all subsequent by-elections, have expense limits that apply during the campaign period (May 1, 2021 to May 29, 2021).
Each jurisdiction and office has its own limit, which is based on the population of the election area. These limits apply to the 2018 General Local Elections and all subsequent by-elections.
The candidate expense limits for the Richmond election area are as follows:
You may also view the candidate expense limits on Election BC’s website.
Directed advertising expense limits apply to advertising about a specific candidate or elector organization. The third party directed advertising expense limits for Richmond are:
|Third Party Advertising||Expense Limit|
If you are a third party sponsor/advertiser and you are conducting “issue advertising” or if you are advertising in more than one jurisdiction, please contact Elections BC for information about applicable expense limits and rules by calling 1-800-661-8683.subscribe to information for candidates