|Walkway on Gulangyu|
In April 2008, the City of Richmond signed a Friendly Cooperation Agreement with Xiamen, and in 2012, Xiamen became our sister city.
Xiamen, also known as Amoy, is a major city on the southeast coast of China. It covers a total area of 1,516 square kilometres.
Xiamen is an island city of more than 3.5 million people and is one of the major economic centres in China. Like Richmond, Xiamen is known for its high-tech industry as well as agricultural and seafood products and shipbuilding. It has been a major seaport since ancient times and was named one of China’s most livable cities.
- On September 19, 2008, City dignitaries from Xiamen began their first official visit to Richmond.
The year 2017 marked the 5th anniversary of Richmond's Sister City relationship with Xiamen, China.
Other Activities with Xiamen, China include:
- November 2016 - A delegation from the Xiamen Municipal Bureau of Sports met with the Richmond School District and the Richmond Sports Council to discuss future exchanges of sports teams.
- July 2016 - The Sister City Advisory Committee hosted the Richmond Sister-Friendship Youth Table Tennis Tournament. Student teams from Xiamen, Qingdao and Richmond came together to experience the excitement and challenge of playing against outstanding table tennis players in this three day event.
- May 2015 - The Sister City Advisory Committee attended the official opening of the Xiamen International Book Company. Also in attendance was the Vice Director and Xiamen and the Consul General of China.
- June 2013 - Mayor Brodie met with the Consul General of China, Liu Fei.
- April 2012 - An official delegation travelled to Xiamen, China to sign the Official Sister City Agreement. Members of Council toured the Municipal Planning Bureau; watched a special performance of the Xiamen Philharmonic Orchestra, toured the Xiamen Zoo, and toured the Xiamen Olympic Museum and Jimei University.
- May 2011 - An artist delegation held an exhibition at Aberdeen Mall. The art was donated to the City of Richmond.
- April 2011 - Vice Mayor Zhan and his delegation visited the City of Richmond. The purpose of this visit was to sign a letter of intent to establish a Sister City relationship with the City of Xiamen.