RestorationWe’re Restoring the #1220 Interurban Tram Car!
Restoration is long and complex. Our goal is to protect original materials and return the car to its appearance from 1912 to 1958.
• The trolley poles and wooden ribbing will be installed on the roof of the car.
• Brass components will be installed in the interior of the car.
• Hand painted decals will be applied throughout the interior and exterior of the car.
• Switch boxes will be built and stained to match the interior colour of the car.
• The motorman’s seat will be repaired to preserve the original leather.
• Two bench seats will be built and covered in rattan.
• Our volunteers will continue to work hard, cleaning car parts and reinstalling the operational components in the motorman’s cabs.
An artist carefully hand draws on the tram numbers and conservators work with an original switch box to prepare for installation.
Accessibility to the Tram Car may be limited due to safety precautions. We still welcome you to view the restoration and participate in activities related to Richmond’s transportation history.