Community Mural Program
The City of Richmond's Mural Program provides opportunities to add vibrancy to highly visible public spaces, foster community dialogue and cross-cultural exchange, and engage diverse and multi-generational communities.
Property owners and mural artists are invited to participate through the processes described below.
Interested property owners/managers can apply to have a mural on their property. If successful, City staff will work with the applicant to match them with a pre-qualified artist to create the mural. Property owners who would like to work with a specific artist should ensure that the artist has also applied to be on the Community Mural Artist Roster (see below).
- Mural locations must be located in Richmond and be visually accessible to the general public
- Private single family residences and properties are not eligible
- Mural projects must follow the mural guidelines
- Murals on heritage buildings may require a Heritage Alteration Permit
- An interdepartmental staff Mural Committee will review property owners’ applications.
- In consultation with Public Art staff, selected property owners will identify artists from the Community Mural Artist Roster for each mural opportunity. The artists will be selected based on best fit for each project.
- The City of Richmond will manage the project and fund the work.
Mural artists interested in participating in this program must apply to be included in the Community Mural Artist Roster, which will be updated biannually. The Roster is a list of artists who are pre-qualified to work with community groups, business or property owners, schools, and/or private developers to design and execute murals in public spaces.
- Artist Roster Application (deadline: Wednesday, July 31, 2019)
- Artists or artist teams must reside in BC
- Artists must have demonstrated experience and skill sets with multiple project stakeholders and with executing indoor and outdoor murals
- A Selection Panel will adjudicate the artists’ applications to be placed on the Community Mural Artist Roster
- Artists will be notified prior to being placed into consideration for mural projects as submitted by property owners
- Artists will be selected based on best fit for each project
- The City of Richmond will manage the project and fund the work