Mitchell Elementary School
Mitchell Elementary School in 2004.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 2004 43 92.
The school and a nearby island were named after Richmond pioneer Alex Mitchell.
The school began with one room and served students from Grades 1 to 8. Eventually, in 1922, a second classroom was added and the school raised in order to provide a basement.
In 1926, the basement was deployed as a third classroom, but the dampness in the cellar led to an outbreak of pneumococcal meningitis in 1928. Three out of four students who contracted it died. As a result, the Metropolitan Board of Health was given the responsibility of ensuring that all Richmond schools met certain standards in the future.
East Richmond School, once an annex