Lord Byng Elementary School
In 1922, Steveston School was renamed Lord Byng Elementary School (1922- ), and four classrooms were added with financial assistance from Steveston’s Japanese Canadian community.
A year later, the Richmond School Board took responsibility for the education of all children regardless of race, ethnic background, or country of origin.
A 14-room school was built in 1930. In 1946, the school was damaged by fire, and students had to attend in shifts until it was rebuilt in 1948. Further additions to the school occurred in 1959.
In 1995, the school was replaced by a new modern facility on its No. 1 Road site south of Steveston Highway. Schools have existed on this property since 1897.
After the war, he had the titles of Viscount (1926) and Lord Byng of Vimy (1919) bestowed upon him.
Because of his heroics involving Canadian troops during the war, he was appointed Canada’s Governor General, serving from 1921-1926, coinciding with William Lyon McKenzie King’s ascent to power as Canada’s Prime Minister.