Bridges and Baby Boomers
James Thompson Elementary School
James Thompson Elementary School in 2004.
City of Richmond Archives Photograph
2004 43 167.
In 1953, James Thompson Elementary School (1955- ) began as a two-room annex to Grauer School
. The official opening of the school did not occur until 1955.
In 1965, it again became an annex to Brighouse Elementary
, but since 1967 it has remained independent at its present site at 6211 Forsythe Avenue, near No. 1 Road and Westminster Highway.
Richmond pioneer James
Thompson, circa 1910.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 1978 2 23.
Click to enlarge image.
James Thompson was a pioneer farmer in the area and served as school trustee from 1908-1915.
He chaired the Lulu Island West Dyking Commission from 1915 to 1934. The school sits on a portion of the original Thompson farm.