Bridges and Baby Boomers
James Gilmore Elementary School
| ||James Gilmore Elementary School |
in 2004. City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 2004 43 137.
James Gilmore Elementary School (1959- ) opened its doors in 1959 to serve the needs of Gilmore Park, a new subdivision on the west side of the island.
James Gilmore (1864-1939) was a pioneer farmer known for his herd of Holstein cattle. He was born in County Down, Ireland, and moved to Richmond at the age of 20 in 1884. He served on the Richmond Police Commission from 1917 to 1928.
Aerial photograph of James Gilmore Elementary School, showing playing fields and
part of surrounding residential area, circa 1977. City of Richmond
Archives Photograph 1978 26 150. Click to enlarge image.