Cambie Secondary School
With the opening of a new Richmond High School on Foster Road (now Minoru Boulevard) in 1952, the old facility at Sexsmith and Cambie Roads became Cambie Junior Secondary School (1952- ).
The school was named after the road, but the road was named after Henry James Cambie, an engineer with the Canadian Pacific Railway, who surveyed and built roads in both Vancouver and Richmond. Cambie School was replaced in 1995 by a brand new school at Jacombs and No. 5 Road which became a junior-senior secondary school in 1996. The East Richmond Community Centre became an integral part of the facility at this location as well. The old structure on Sexsmith was destroyed by a mysterious fire in the late 1990s.
|The new Cambie Secondary in 2004. |
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 2004 43 216.