Preschool Instructor 1
Reporting to the Preschool Coordinator, assists with the development and implementation of a comprehensive community based preschool program for ages 3-5yrs
Steveston Community Centre
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the development, planning and implementation of a comprehensive preschool program; organize and lead preschool activities, special events, fundraising and field trips; develop preschool curriculum.
- Assist volunteers and practicum students in the classroom.
- Attend to children’s physical needs, which may include toileting and eating.
- Provide information to visitors wanting to hear about the program and/or see the classroom.
- Communicate problems or concerns with children, families, staff and external agencies.
- Recommend referrals or additional services for children with professionals such as behavioural therapists, occupational therapists and speech language pathologist.
- Monitor children in indoor and outdoor activities and during rest periods; conduct activities with children on an individual and group basis.
- Ensure classroom safety as outlined by Health Medical Safety regulations; follow proper Centre protocol.
- Administer medications as required in accordance with established policy.
- Keep program facilities and equipment safe and clean, reporting any repairs and concerns to senior staff.
- Plan and organize classroom layout.
- Order supplies and equipment.
- Work with agencies to acquire resources for children.
- Attend regular meetings with preschool instructors, Supervisor and where appropriate.
- Responsible to document and report child abuse to supervisors and the Ministry.
- Responsible to fill out accident report forms.
- Other related duties as assigned and may vary according to facility.
- Grade 12 plus enrolled and working towards in an Early Childhood Education certificate and one year’s experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- BCRPA High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development Certification.
Licensing requirements prior to start date:
- Standard, Childsafe or Emergency First Aid including CPR C;
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- Physician’s note;
- 19+yrs of age; and
- Immunization Record.
- Post Basic ECE Training
- Reggio Workshops
- Montessori Ceertiicate
- 2nd language
- Sign language
- Music background
- Food safe
- School year(September 2022 to June 2023) Monday to Friday, approximately 21 to 26.25 hrs/week
- $20.54/hour (rate effective Sept 1, 2021. The Sept 1, 2022 rate under review) with $4 per hour Wage Enhancement for ECE certificate holders
How to Apply
Applicant should submit a detailed resume with cover letter that reflects their knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position, no later than Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 5:00pm to:
Steveston Community Centre
Catherine Nevada, Preschool Coordinator
4111 Moncton Street Richmond, BC V7E 3A8
(Adobe PDF or MS Word format only)
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.