Preschool Support Worker
Reporting to Association Child Care Coordinator or Director of Child Care Services, provides support when a child requiring extra support is in attendance. Ensures the well-being of the child(ren) in the program and promotes their development in assisting the child(ren) in their physical, social, emotional and daily life skills development.
Thompson Community Centre
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Individual Service Plan or Care Plans for children requiring extra support.
- Incorporate children requiring extra support into regular programming when possible or ensure alternate plans are available.
- Identify the abilities, interests and needs of children and recommend individualized and group activities based on these.
- Assist program staff to create an indoor and outdoor environment that allows for accessibility to and safety of children requiring extra support.
- Ensure activities accommodate and promote inclusion in all aspects of the program.
- Conduct activities with child(ren) on an individual and group basis.
- Discuss background information with parents.
- Report incidents and concerns to supervisor.
- May recommend referrals or additional services for children with professionals such as behavioural therapists, occupational therapists and speech language pathologists in cooperation with instructor/leader.
- Attend regular staff meetings with staff, families, and other organizations.
- Work with appropriate agencies to acquire resources for children requiring extra support.
- Attend to children's physical needs, which may include toileting and eating.
- Assist child with developing appropriate social skills.
- Assess Care Plan given by staff, families, and other organizations.
- Monitor children in indoor and outdoor activities and during rest periods; conduct activities with children on an individual and group basis.
- Ensure classroom safety as outlined by Health Medical Safety regulations; follow proper Centre protocol.
- Administer medications as required in accordance with established policy.
- Keep program facilities and equipment safe and clean, reporting any repairs and concerns to senior staff.
- Record pertinent information daily in the communication book.
- Responsible to document and report child abuse to supervisors and the Ministry.
- Responsible to fill out Incident and First Aid Report forms.
- Other related duties as assigned and may vary according to facility.
- High school graduation and up to 6 months experience working with children or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Criminal Record Check (CRRP - Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General).
- Emergency Child Care First Aid or Standard First Aid including CPR B or higher.
- BCRPA High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development Certifications (or willing to obtain).
- 19+ years of age.
- Immunization Record.
- ECE certificate, or family license with min. 40 hours of work experience.
- Post basic ECE training.
- Training/courses in behavioural/developmental challenges, autism spectrum, special needs therapies.
- Completed guiding and caring courses.
- 2nd language.
- Sign language.
- 9-15 hours weekly, based on availability and classroom needs.
Compensation and Benefits
- $18.13-$19.23 per hour
How to Apply
Applicant should submit a detailed resume with optional cover letter that reflects their knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position to:
Thompson Community Centre
Anna Thymis, Preschool Coordinator
5151 Granville Avenue
Richmond, BC V7C 1E6
(Adobe PDF or MS Word format only)
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.